- Part Of:
- Line engraving and etching, engraver's proof (touched) on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 15 9/16 × 20 1/8 inches (39.5 × 51.1 cm), Plate: 12 1/4 × 17 5/8 inches (31.1 × 44.8 cm), Chine collé: 8 1/4 × 11 1/4 inches (21 × 28.6 cm), Image: 7 9/16 × 10 5/8 inches (19.2 × 27 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R | 169"; lower left: "169 E.P.1. (not in R.) | Very fine | with pencil X s by Turner. Remarks [indently] cut away | Engravers Proof. [Nu] lights -on the water scraped out brighter - before bright lights on small figure on left bank, on small fall on extreme left, etc"; lower right: "A Wallis | No.2"; lower center: "[In] all [pencil] & under [tree] c. & toward [...] under church"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "p/ay-"
stamp, verso, lower left: "16490"; Collector's stamp, verso, lower right: "W.G.Rawlinson's Sale | 28.3.16 | A.W."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | church | cityscape | landscape (representation) | river | waterfall
- Associated Places:
- Church of St. Mary the Virgin | England | North Yorkshire | Richmond | Richmond Castle | Richmond Falls | Swale | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by W. R. Smith, active 1819–1851, Richmond, Yorkshire, 1818-1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.