- Part Of:
- Line engraving and etching, engraver's proof (touched) on moderately thick, smooth, cream, wove paper, with cream, chine colle
- Sheet: 15 9/16 × 20 1/8 inches (39.5 × 51.1 cm), Plate: 12 1/4 × 17 5/8 inches (31.1 × 44.8 cm), Chine collé: 8 1/4 × 11 1/4 inches (21 × 28.6 cm), and Image: 7 9/16 × 10 5/8 inches (19.2 × 27 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R | 169"; lower left: "169 E.P.1. (not in R.) | Very fine | with pencil X s by Turner. Remarks [indently] cut away | Engravers Proof. [Nu] lights -on the water scraped out brighter - before bright lights on small figure on left bank, on small fall on extreme left, etc"; lower right: "A Wallis | No.2"; lower center: "[In] all [pencil] & under [tree] c. & toward [...] under church"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "p/ay-"
stamp, verso, lower left: "16490"; Collector's stamp, verso, lower right: "W.G.Rawlinson's Sale | 28.3.16 | A.W."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | church | cityscape | landscape (representation) | river | waterfall
- Associated Places:
- Church of St. Mary the Virgin | England | North Yorkshire | Richmond | Richmond Castle | Richmond Falls | Swale | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by W. R. Smith, active 1819–1851, Richmond, Yorkshire, 1818-1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.