Egglestone Abbey, near Barnard Castle
- Part Of:
- Line engraving and etching, engraver's proof on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 13 1/4 × 19 1/2 inches (33.7 × 49.5 cm), Plate: 10 15/16 × 17 1/2 inches (27.8 × 44.5 cm), Chine collé: 10 1/2 × 17 1/4 inches (26.7 × 43.8 cm), Image: 7 3/8 × 10 5/8 inches (18.7 × 27 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.174. E.P."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Egglestone Abbey near Barnard Castle"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "-. 54"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "Egglestone Abbey | Yorkshire"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "1320"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "Engravers choice proof | [very lessee]"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner R.A."; lettered, lower right: "Eng'd by T.Higham"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | architectural subject | landscape (representation) | river | ruin
- Associated Places:
- Bowes | Durham | Egglestone Abbey | England | Tees | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Higham, 1796–1844, British, Egglestone Abbey, near Barnard Castle, 1818-1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.