Columbus Setting Sail
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Line engraving, engraver's proof on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 14 1/4 × 9 1/16 inches (36.2 × 23 cm), Plate: 11 1/4 × 6 inches (28.6 × 15.2 cm), Chine collé: 11 × 5 3/4 inches (27.9 × 14.6 cm), Image: 2 1/4 × 3 1/4 inches (5.7 × 8.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.399 (a)"; lower left: "27/52 Poems. Columbus setting sail - Early Final Proof Before dark [...] boats in right foreground & [...]"; lower right: "[...]"
Collector's mark: W. G. Rawlinson (Lugt 2624)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- friary | gulf | historical subject | marine art
- Associated Places:
- Andalusia | Gulf of Cádiz | Huelva | La Rábida Friary | Palos de la Frontera | Spain
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Edward Goodall, 1795–1870, British, Columbus Setting Sail, 1834
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.