- Part Of:
- Line engraving and etching, first published state on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper, with cream, chine colle
- Sheet: 11 13/16 × 18 1/16 inches (30 × 45.9 cm), Plate: 11 1/2 × 17 3/8 inches (29.2 × 44.1 cm), Chine collé: 11 × 16 3/4 inches (27.9 × 42.5 cm), and Image: 7 1/2 × 10 11/16 inches (19.1 × 27.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.176. 1st state. (India)"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "India Proof duplicate"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "[fine] proof | very [scarse]"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "1329 | i[...]-"
Collector's stamp, lower right: "W.G.R."
Lettered, lower left: "J.M.W.Turner R.A. delt."; lettered, lower center: "Brignall Church, | Published by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, & Borwn, Paternoster Row, and Hurst, Robinson, & Co. Cheapside, London, Octr.25th 1821."; lettered, lower right: "S.Rawle sculpt. | Printed by McQueen & Co.""
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- church | landscape (representation) | mountain | river
- Associated Places:
- Brignall | Durham | England | Greta | Old Church of St. Mary's | Pennine | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Rawle, 1771–1860, British, Brignall Church, 1821
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.