- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Line engraving; engraver's proof on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 8 1/2 × 13 1/2 inches (21.6 × 34.3 cm), Plate: 6 × 8 1/8 inches (15.2 × 20.6 cm), Chine collé: 5 7/8 × 7 7/8 inches (14.9 × 20 cm), Image: 3 1/4 × 5 3/4 inches (8.3 × 14.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R. 501 (a)"; lower left: "Dryburgh Abbey (1) Engraver's Proof"; lower center: "(Before tiny white figure in river below groups on bank on left | (Before upper sky softened generally"; inscribed in graphite on verso, lower right: "Dryburgh Abbey"
Collector's mark: W. G. Rawlinson (Lugt 2624)
Lettered below image, lower left: "J.M.W. Turner R.A."; lower right: "W. Miller"; lower center: "Edinburgh, Published by Robert Cadell: and Moon, Boy & Graves, London."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | landscape (representation) | literary theme | mountain | river | ruin
- Associated Places:
- Berwickshire | Dryburgh Abbey | Eildon Hills | Scotland | Scotland | Scottish Borders | Tweed
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.