Memorial of Mrs. Elizabeth Searles from Acton Church
- Former Title(s):
The Environs of London: Memorial of Mrs. Elizabeth Searles from Acton Church
- Part Of:
- between 1796 and 1811
- Pen and black ink and watercolor over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 5/8 × 10 5/8 inches (37.1 × 27 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, upper left: "Acton Vol V page 5"; inscribed, upper right: "2."
"To the Memory of M. ELIZABETH | SEARLES Daughter & Heire of M. | ROBERT SEARLES of LONDON Merch. She dyed | 23 Oct. A.D. 1674 of her Age 12 inevnre | I'the Blossome of her Spring twas seen | what fruits of Grace there would have been | But what her hasty death denyed | Is now in Paradise supply'd | Where there is neither Spring nor Fall | But Summer's there perpetual | Her early Soull in Flower here | Is ripe to endless Glory there | And now's her Virgin's Soul Chists Bride | And lives with him who for her dyed | Her tender dust too at Christs Call | Talitha cu, mi joyfull shall | From the sleep of Death awake | of Life & Glory to partake. | De immat Mort Chariss suce Nept | dolsic compossuu: T.C."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | church | memorial
- Associated Places:
- Acton | England | Greater London | London | St Mary's Church | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Searles, Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Searles
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Attributed to Daniel Lysons, 1762–1834, British, Memorial of Mrs. Elizabeth Searles from Acton Church, between 1796 and 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.