Memorial to Mrs. Hester Hill and Mr. Thomas Hill, Chelsea Church
- Part Of:
- between 1796 and 1811
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 3/4 × 10 5/8 inches (37.5 × 27 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, upper left: "Chelsea Vol V page 108"; upper right: "50"
Lettered inside image in pen and yellow ink, center: "In the Vault under the stairs | that Leads up into the new Gallery, | Lyeth the Body of Mrs. HESTER HILL | Wife of Mr THOMAS HILL of this Parish, | who died Jan: 20th 1699. in the 63 | year of her Age. | In the same Vault lyeth also the | Body of ye above named Mr Tho. HILL, | who died Novbr ye 3d 1713. in the ye | 75th year of his age."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | historical subject | memorial
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | London | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Daniel Lysons, 1762–1834, British, Memorial to Mrs. Hester Hill and Mr. Thomas Hill, Chelsea Church, between 1796 and 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.