- Additional Title(s):
- Part Of:
- ca. 1830
- Line engraving, finished state on thick, slightly textured, beige, wove paper, with beige, chine colle
- Sheet: 14 5/8 × 21 7/8 inches (37.1 × 55.6 cm), Plate: 8 7/8 × 12 9/16 inches (22.5 × 31.9 cm), Chine collé: 8 3/8 × 12 3/16 inches (21.3 × 31 cm), and Image: 6 3/4 × 9 13/16 inches (17.1 × 24.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.308"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Aldborough - Unpublished. First State. Etched by altered to Engraved by - Gulls added in left foreground Sea and all lights heightened - Many high clouds in sky. &c. &c. final"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "12 3/4 9 1/8"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner, R.A."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J.C.Allen."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- marine art | ruins | sea
- Associated Places:
- Aldeburgh | All Saints Church Ruins | England | North Sea | Suffolk | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James C. Allen, active 1821–1831, British, Aldborough, ca. 1830
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.