The Tower of London
- Part Of:
- Line engraving, first published state on moderaely thick, moderately textured, cream, wove paper, with cream, chine colle
- Sheet: 11 5/16 × 14 15/16 inches (28.7 × 37.9 cm), Plate: 4 7/8 × 7 7/16 inches (12.4 × 18.9 cm), Chine collé: 4 9/16 × 7 3/16 inches (11.6 × 18.3 cm), and Image: 3 × 4 5/8 inches (7.6 × 11.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.318"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "First Published State"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Literary Souvenir. 1832."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Reissued in Lays & Legends. How. Hul[?]. 1845 | Title & publication lines removed."
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner R.A."; lettered, lower center: "THE TOWER OF LONDON | Published by longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, & Green, Nov. 1831."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by W. Miller | Printed by McQueen"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | cityscape | marine art | river
- Associated Places:
- London | Thames | Tower Hamlets | Tower of London | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Miller, 1796–1882, British, The Tower of London, 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.