The Tower of London
- Part Of:
- Line engraving, first published state on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 5/16 × 14 15/16 inches (28.7 × 37.9 cm), Plate: 4 7/8 × 7 7/16 inches (12.4 × 18.9 cm), Chine collé: 4 9/16 × 7 3/16 inches (11.6 × 18.3 cm), and Image: 3 × 4 5/8 inches (7.6 × 11.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.318"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "First Published State"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Literary Souvenir. 1832."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Reissued in Lays & Legends. How. Hul[?]. 1845 | Title & publication lines removed."
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner R.A."; lettered, lower center: "THE TOWER OF LONDON | Published by longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, & Green, Nov. 1831."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by W. Miller | Printed by McQueen"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | cityscape | marine art | river
- Associated Places:
- London | Thames | Tower Hamlets | Tower of London | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Miller, 1796–1882, British, The Tower of London, 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.