Ehenbreitstein, During the Demolition of the Fortress in 1817 from the Quay at Coblentz.
- Additional Title(s):
Ehenbreitstein, During the Demolition of the Fortress in, 1817 from the Quay of Koblenz
- Line engraving, engraver's proof on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 15 1/2 × 22 inches (39.4 × 55.9 cm), Plate: 10 1/4 × 14 1/16 inches (26 × 35.7 cm), Chine collé: 9 3/4 × 13 11/16 inches (24.8 × 34.8 cm), Image: 7 7/16 × 11 1/2 inches (18.9 × 29.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R 202 (b)"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "202. E.P. (b) | Very Early Proof. | see wrong spelling, - Probably Turner's [...]"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner R.A."; lettered, lower center: "EHENBREITSTEIN | during the Demolition of the Fortress in 1817 from the Quay of Coblentz. | Published for the Proprietor, J.C.Allen, 132 Gosworth Street May 1, 1824."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J.C.Allen 1824"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | church | cityscape | fortress | rivers
- Associated Places:
- Basilica of St. Castor | Ehrenbreitstein, Feste | Europe | Germany | Koblenz | Mosel | Philippsburg Castle | Rheinland-Pfalz | Rhine
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by James C. Allen, active 1821–1831, British, Ehenbreitstein, During the Demolition of the Fortress in 1817 from the Quay at Coblentz, 1824
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.