The Custom House
- Line engraving, engraver's proof on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper, with cream, chine colle
- Sheet: 11 7/8 × 17 5/16 inches (30.2 × 44 cm), Plate: 9 1/8 × 12 inches (23.2 × 30.5 cm), Chine collé: 8 3/4 × 11 9/16 inches (22.2 × 29.4 cm), and Image: 5 9/16 × 9 9/16 inches (14.1 × 24.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "Custom House London"
Collector's stamp, lower right: "W.G.R."
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W.Turner R.A."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J.C.Allen, 1824"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | church | cityscape | river
- Associated Places:
- Europe | London | St. Magnus the Martyr Church | St. Paul's Cathedral | Thames | The Custom House | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James C. Allen, active 1821–1831, British, The Custom House, 1827
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.