IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
unknown artist, Tom Thumb at Bay, undated
Tom Thumb at Bay
- Pen, brown ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 3/8 × 13 1/2 inches (28.9 × 34.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper center: "Co Estates [...]"; in pen and brown ink, upper right: "Than tis to Heaven | now we shall be able | to throw off our yoke"; in pen and brown ink, upper center: "Which way shall I escape ? | If I fly from the Bear, | and the Eagle - I fall | into the jaws of the Lion!"; in pen and brown ink, lower center: "Tom Thumb at Bay. | or | The Sovereigns of the Forest. Roused at last!"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bear | eagle (bird) | forest | genre subject | genre subject | lion | sovereigns (rulers)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.