- Watercolor and graphite with pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper and medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 3 1/4 × 13 7/8 inches (8.3 × 35.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper left: "No 54"; in pen and black ink, center: "The Tank"; upper right: "B In this Boat was [...] | [...]"; upper right: "A. on this boat were a number | of [...] Elephants-- | camels Horses and Donkis's | and [...]"; center: "C In this Boat were two officers | belonging to [...] and a young | Boy [...]"; in pen and brown ink, lower left: "No 3"; lower center: "A light Sketch of The Tank [...] where we [...] the 4th December 1792"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | hills | lake | landscape | people | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Holly Shaffer, Adapting the eye, An archive of the British in India, 1770-1830 , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2011, p. 26, no. 47, V2359 (YCBA)