Private View of the Royal Academy
- Watercolor and graphite with pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 3 3/4 × 4 1/8 inches (9.5 × 10.5 cm)
Inscribed on mount in pen and black ink, lower center: "Royal 1858 Academy. | when you visit this Institution if you are desirous | of avoiding the crowd get there before breakfast, some | where about this time. 9 A.M. | London Guide"
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "Wil[...] Payne"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- art | coats | dresses | exhibitions | frames (furnishings) | gallery | genre subject | gowns | hats, top | paintings | people
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | Greater London | London | Royal Academy
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Mark Hallett, The Great Spectacle: 250 years of the Royal Academy's Summer Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, [London], p. 17, cat. 1, N5054 .H35 2018 (LC) Oversize (YCBA)