Private View of the Royal Academy
- Watercolor and graphite with pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 3 3/4 × 4 1/8 inches (9.5 × 10.5 cm)
Inscribed on mount in pen and black ink, lower center: "Royal 1858 Academy. | when you visit this Institution if you are desirous | of avoiding the crowd get there before breakfast, some | where about this time. 9 A.M. | London Guide"
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "Wil[...] Payne"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- art | coats | crowd | dresses | exhibitions | frames (furnishings) | gallery | genre subject | gowns | hats, top | paintings | people | skirts (garments)
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | Greater London | London | Royal Academy
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Great Spectacle: 250 Years of the Summer Exhibition (Royal Academy of Arts, 2018-06-11 - 2018-08-19) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
A Palace of Art in Victorian England - The Grosvenor Gallery (Laing Art Gallery, 1996-09-13 - 1996-11-24) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
A Palace of Art in Victorian England - The Grosvenor Gallery (Denver Art Museum, 1996-06-01 - 1996-08-25) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
A Palace of Art in Victorian England - The Grosvenor Gallery (Yale Center for British Art, 1996-03-01 - 1996-04-28) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Mark Hallett, The Great Spectacle: 250 years of the Royal Academy's Summer Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, [London], p. 17, cat. 1, N5054 .H35 2018 (LC) Oversize (YCBA) [YCBA]