- Design for the Brass Eagle Lectern Base
- Graphite and pen and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige paper
- Sheet: 32 1/2 x 27 7/8 inches (82.6 x 70.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, upper left: "Lectern H no 2"; in pen and black ink, upper right: "All Real size"; in pen and black ink, upper center: "these angels will be | taken for the small | copper gilt ones"; upper center: "at"; center left: "(observe) the different | members of the tracery | are all sunk to various | thicknesses."; center left: "A B C | these filets | excess narrow"; lower left: "Geometrical Elevation of Flying Buttresses."; lower center: "front Elevation of Buttress"; lower right: "Plan of Pan"; and various inscriptions throughout
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower right: "AW Pugin | 1846"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angel | architectural subject | architecture | design | Gothic (Medieval) | lectern
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, 1812–1852, British, Design for the Brass Eagle Lectern Base, 1846
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.