IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by William Faithorne, ca. 1620–1691, British, The Betrayal of Christ, 1653
The Betrayal of Christ
- Part Of:
- Line engraving with stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 5/8 × 8 inches (24.4 × 20.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "William Faithorne: | The Betrayal of Christ"
Lettered, lower left inside image: "1653"; lower right inside image: "W. Fathorne Scul"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- attacking | beards | Christian | embracing | fighting | gesturing | halo | illustration | kissing | lanterns | mountains | night | religious | religious and mythological subject | robes | Roman | rope | spears | swords | the kiss of Judas: accompanied by soldiers with torches and lanterns, he kisses Christ | torches
- Associated People:
- Peter, the Apostle, St. (ca. 1 BC - ca. 68 AD)
Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.