Studies of a Hilly Coast, and a Rocky Waterfall
- Materials & Techniques:
- Graphite on medium, smooth, cream wove paper mounted on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 7 5/8 x 10 3/8 inches (19.4 x 26.4 cm), Mount: 10 1/2 × 13 5/8 inches (26.7 × 34.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "brown [...] with stone"; center right: "dark green"; lower center: "brown green x [...] hedges"; lower left: "o the only green | p lighter than water | [...] green - | [...] Rock purple brown"
Collector's mark: Thomas Esmond Lowinsky (Lugt 2420a)
Signed in graphite, lower center: "JWD. RA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coast | geology | hills | landscape | rocks (landforms) | science | waterfall
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, Studies of a Hilly Coast, and a Rocky Waterfall, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.