IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
George Augustus Sala, 1828–1895, British, Sentry halting Gentleman at Gate, undated
Sentry halting Gentleman at Gate
- Pen and black ink on medium, smooth, cream wove paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 3 1/4 × 3 1/2 inches (8.3 × 8.9 cm), Mount: 3 7/8 × 4 inches (9.8 × 10.2 cm)
Inscribed on mount in pen and black ink, lower center: "Soldat: [...] la-onne passe pas! | particu: Comment, on ne passe pas: Je suis Pair De Frances: | Soldat: En [...] vous le Grand Papa vousne passeriez pas:"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bayonet | gate | genre subject | men | soldier | staffs (walking sticks)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.