- Sentry halting Gentleman at Gate
- Pen and black ink on medium, smooth, cream wove paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 3 1/4 × 3 1/2 inches (8.3 × 8.9 cm) and Mount: 3 7/8 × 4 inches (9.8 × 10.2 cm)
Inscribed on mount in pen and black ink, lower center: "Soldat: [...] la-onne passe pas! | particu: Comment, on ne passe pas: Je suis Pair De Frances: | Soldat: En [...] vous le Grand Papa vousne passeriez pas:"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bayonet | gate | genre subject | men | soldier | staffs (walking sticks)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
George Augustus Sala, 1828–1895, British, Sentry halting Gentleman at Gate, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.