Letter with Designs for Signets (?)
- Pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 3 5/8 × 7 1/4 inches (9.2 × 18.4 cm)
Inscribed beginning upper left: " I have no invention for ornamenting wafers, but I | think they should differ according to the matter contained | in the letter: a love letter might be thus a Mercantile | so_ a letter of civility a Lawyers letter | a letter of attourney Lettre de Cathis a | letter of Credit: and so forth. | The Mammouth seems to be..." Verso: "Hawkins"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Abel Cary Thomas, Yale BA 1905, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- letters (correspondence) | signets | still life
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Edward Francis Burney, 1760–1848, British, Letter with Designs for Signets (?), undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.