Literary Characters Assembled around the Medallion of Shakespeare
- ca. 1777
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 1/4 x 16 9/16 inches (28.5 x 42 cm), Plate: 9 7/16 x 11 5/16 inches (23.9 x 28.8 cm), Image: 8 7/16 x 11 inches (21.5 x 27.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center right: "ILLUSTRATE"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Mortimer, del. ~"; lower center, within image: "A Fellow of Maudlin"; lower right: "L. Bates fect. ~"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- books | caricature | crowd | effigies | eyeglasses | hands | heads | literary theme | men | portrait | reading | satire | woman
- Associated People:
- Johnson, Samuel (1709–1784), author and lexicographer
Montagu (née Robinson), Elizabeth (1718–1800), author and literary hostess
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Lydia Bates, active 1784, Literary Characters Assembled around the Medallion of Shakespeare, ca. 1777
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.