- Castle on Cliff, with a Stormy Sea, and Shipwreck at Base of Cliff
- Watercolor, graphite, and scratching out on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige, wove paper
- Sheet: 10 13/16 × 8 3/8 inches (27.5 × 21.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, verso, center: "This old fashioned foreground [...] is now | emphatically called the [...] Bridge as those | who can only compose in that way, can only | get into the landscape over it -- besides the | nature of water colours have real depth for it. | not so | Let these be gradations and opposition and | there let your emphasis tell - not too strongly; but | expressively and determinately. | Varley -"; inscribed in pen and brown ink, verso, center left: "Imitation of Turner"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "17"
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower right: "[?]B 1814"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Sully, 1783–1872, American, Castle on Cliff, with a Stormy Sea, and Shipwreck at Base of Cliff, 1814
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.