Diligence and Dissipation: The Wanton Revelling with her Companions (Plate7)
- Stipple engraving, open letter proofs on medium, slightly textured, cream paper mounted on linen
- Sheet: 18 1/8 x 20 13/16in. (46 x 52.9cm)
Lettered, lower left, below image: "Painted by J. Northcote R.A. | Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; | and the end of that mirth is heavinefs | Prov. XIV. Ver.13. | The simple pafs on and are punished. | Prov. XXII. Ver. 3." ; lower right, below image: "Engraved by Gaugain & Hellyer" | Mesme en riant le coeur sera tristle; | et la joie finit par le chagrin. | Prov. XIV. Ver.13 | Les sots pafsent et paient l'amende | Prov. XXII. Ver 3. | PROOF" ; lower center, below image: "London Publifhed May 1. 1797, by Gaugain, No. 15 Five Fields-row, Chelsea, & No. 4 Little Compton Street, Soho."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- alcohol | bonnet | Dancing | drinking | glasses (drinking glasses) | lantern | literary theme | men | servants
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Mark (Andrew Mark), Ledbury, James Northcote, history painting, and the Fables, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2014, pp. 90, 96, 97, 98, fig. 88, NJ18.N79 L43 2014 (YCBA)