On the River Wye with Wilton Castle Ruins on a Bend in the River
- Former Title(s):
On the River Rye with Goodrich Castle Ruins on a Bend in the River
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: View of Chepstow
- after 1794
- Gray ink and gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, blued white wove paper
- Sheet: 8 x 11 5/8 inches (20.3 x 29.5 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 9 3/8 x 13 inches (23.8 x 33 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "Chepstow"; on back, upper right: "16 | J. Glover"; on back of mount, center: "John Glover | On the River Wye with Goodrich Castle (?) | Ruins on a Pond in the River; Verso: | View of Chepstow"
watermark: "J WHATMAN | 1794"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | castle | landscape | river | riverbanks | trees
- Associated Places:
- England | Hereford and Worcester | Herefordshire | United Kingdom | Wilton Castle | Wye
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Glover, 1767–1849, British, On the River Wye with Wilton Castle Ruins on a Bend in the River, after 1794
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.