- Transept of Melrose Abbey, 1778 Near Old Melrose on the River Tweed, Roxburgh
- Gray wash, pen and black ink, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Contemporary drawn border: 13 5/8 x 10 3/8 inches (34.6 x 26.4 cm) and Sheet: 11 7/8 × 8 1/2 inches (30.2 × 21.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in pen and gray ink, lower right: "Transept of Melrose Abbey. 1778."
Signed in pen and brown ink, lower right: "Hearne"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | arches | architectural subject | church | ivy | lonely | plants | ruins | shadows | stained glass | transept | windows
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Melrose | Roxburgh | Scotland | Scottish Borders | Tweed | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Hearne, 1744–1817, British, Transept of Melrose Abbey, 1778 Near Old Melrose on the River Tweed, Roxburgh, 1778
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.