A View in the Villa Madama, near Rome, called II Teatro
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 1/8 x 19 3/8 inches (38.4 x 49.2 cm) and Plate: 13 1/4 x 16 5/8 inches (33.7 x 42.2 cm)
Inscribed, verso, in graphite, lower right: "IR 784/428"
Lettered lower left: "Richd. Wilson pinxt."; lower left: "No.1."; lower center: "A View in the Villa Madama, near ROME, called IL TEATRO: - Paftor Fido, & other Dramas, having been perform'd there. | Publifh'd by J.Boydell, Engraver in Cheapfide, London, 1765."; lower right: Wm.Byrne Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale University Art Gallery Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | grottos | men | ruins | theater | women | woods
- Associated Places:
- Italy | Lazio | Mario, Monte | Roma | Tiber | Villa Madama
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William Byrne, 1743–1805, British, A View in the Villa Madama, near Rome, called II Teatro, 1765
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.