Jonah Cast Into the Sea (Jonah 1:15)
- Part Of:
- before 1835
- Materials & Techniques:
- Graphite on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 3/8 x 3 3/8 inches (13.7 x 8.6 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 7 1/4 x 5 1/4 inches (18.4 x 13.3 cm)
Inscription on back of mount: upper left: No 572 | 13 | Richard Westall. R.A. 1765 - 1836. | Illustrate Bible. Center: "Fairfax Murray Collection"
signed in graphite, upper right: "R.W"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boat | fish | illustration | men | meteorology | Old Testament | religious and mythological subject | robes | science | sea | ship | storm | the sailors reluctantly throw the prophet Jonah into the sea | waves (natural events)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Richard Westall, 1765–1836, British, Jonah Cast Into the Sea (Jonah 1:15), before 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.