Jonah Cast Into the Sea (Jonah 1:15)
- Part Of:
- before 1835
- Graphite on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 3/8 x 3 3/8 inches (13.7 x 8.6 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 7 1/4 x 5 1/4 inches (18.4 x 13.3 cm)
Inscription on back of mount: upper left: No 572 | 13 | Richard Westall. R.A. 1765 - 1836. | Illustrate Bible. Center: "Fairfax Murray Collection"
signed in graphite, upper right: "R.W"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boat | fish | illustration | men | meteorology | Old Testament | religious and mythological subject | robes | science | sea | ship | storm | the sailors reluctantly throw the prophet Jonah into the sea | waves (natural events) | whale
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Richard Westall, 1765–1836, British, Jonah Cast Into the Sea (Jonah 1:15), before 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.