Landscape with an Abbey
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor and graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, laid on contemporary mount made of thick, slightly textured, cream card
- Mount: 12 3/4 x 21 1/2 inches (32.4 x 54.6 cm), Sheet: 9 1/2 x 18 7/8 inches (24.1 x 47.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back of mount, center right: "WITH | 128 (encircled)"; on back of mount, lower left: "Mr Thomas Girtin (March 1952) thinks this | drawing must be by John Girtin, elder | brother of T. Girtin, whose work he imitated | and sometimes faked. L. U. W."
Signed and dated in black ink, on mount, lower right: "IG Dec.r 1805"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | church | fields | grazing | landscape | mountain | river | road | sheep | tower (building division)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.