- The Calling of Samuel
- Mezzotint (second state) on medium, moderately textured, beige, laid paper
- Sheet: 16 5/16 × 12 3/16 inches (41.4 × 31 cm), Plate: 15 × 10 7/8 inches (38.1 × 27.6 cm), and Image: 13 3/16 × 10 13/16 inches (33.5 × 27.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "H"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "253"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "21 3/4 x 18"
Colletor's mark: ram's head
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sr. Joshua Reynolds" lettered, lower right: "Engraved by J. R. Smith"; lettered, lower center: "THE CALLING OF SAMUEL. | London Publish'd July 18 1783 by J. R. Smith, No.83 Oxford Street.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- awe | blanket | boy | clouds | gazing | gesturing | light | listening | obedience | Old Testament | portrait | religious and mythological subject | the calling of Samuel (1 Samuel 3)
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Raphael Smith, 1752–1812, British, The Calling of Samuel, 1783
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.