Print made by Prince Rupert, 1619–1682, British, The Great Executioner, 1658
The Great Executioner
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed to plate): 25 1/8 × 17 1/2 inches (63.8 × 44.5 cm) and Image: 23 7/8 × 17 3/8 inches (60.6 × 44.1 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Sp In RuPoP FECIT"; lettered, lower right: "FRA[?]CO[F]URTI ANO 1658 M. APR"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- execution | executioner | head | holding | martyr | New Testament | reed | religious and mythological subject | sword | the beheading of John the Baptist | the cross ~ symbols of Christ
- Associated People:
- St. John the Baptist
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.