IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by William James Ward, ca. 1800–1840, British, Frederick Howard, Fifth Earl of Carlisle, 1823
Frederick Howard, Fifth Earl of Carlisle
- Additional Title(s):
Frederick Howard, 5th Earl of Carlisle
- Mezzotint (first state) on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 28 1/16 × 17 5/8 inches (71.3 × 44.8 cm), Plate: 26 11/16 × 15 7/8 inches (67.8 × 40.3 cm), Image: 25 5/8 × 15 13/16 inches (65.1 × 40.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "R7038"; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "first state"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds"; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by Wm Ward Junr. | Proof | Printed by J Fisher"; lettered, lower center: "THE RIGHT HONORABLE Frederick Howard EARL OF CARLISLE, K.T.&c.&c.&c. | Published June 21st 1823, by the Engraver, 46 London Street Fitzroy Square."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- Howard, Frederick, 5th Earl of Carlisle (1748-1825), politician and diplomat
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.