Samuel Johnson, L. L. D.
- Additional Title(s):
Dr. Samuel Johnson
- Materials & Techniques:
- Mezzotint on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 18 1/8 x 13 11/16 inches (46.1 x 34.7 cm), Plate: 17 13/16 x 13 1/16 inches (45.3 x 33.1 cm), Image: 15 15/16 x 13 1/16 inches (40.5 x 33.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "185"; on back, lower right: "[...] | £4.4"
collector's stamp of Alfred Morrison, in black ink, on back, lower left; collector's stamp of John Young, in black ink, on back, lower left
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds."; lower center: "Samuel Johnson, L. L. D. | London, Publish'd as the Act directs June 24th. 1779. by Wm. Doughty No. 4. Little Titchfield Street, Cavendish Square."; lower right: "Engraved by Willm,, Doughty."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coat | costume | man | portrait | waistcoat | wig
- Associated People:
- Johnson, Samuel (1709–1784), author and lexicographer
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Doughty, 1757–1782, British, Samuel Johnson, L. L. D, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.