IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, Jupiter and Io, 1785
Jupiter and Io
- Mezzotint (etched letter proof, title open) on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 22 7/8 × 17 3/4 inches (58.1 × 45.1 cm), Plate: 22 1/8 × 17 1/8 inches (56.2 × 43.5 cm), Image: 21 × 17 inches (53.3 × 43.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "[...]"; lower left: "#31"; lower right: "13936"
Circular stamp in black ink, Below image, lower right: flower and decorative border
Lettered below image, lower left: "Painted by J. Hoppner. | From the Original Picture - | Jupiter and lo. | - in the Possession of Lord Hampden. | Published Decemb.r. 1st 1785 by V Green and Son, No 29, Newman Street, Oxford Street, London."; lower right: "Engraved by V Green., Mezzotinto Engraver to his Majesty and to the Elector Palatine. | Se vend chez les Ereres Torre, Marchantes d'Estampes, a Loudre."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cloud | Jupiter, shrouded in clouds, woos Io, daughter of Inachus; Juno may be watching the lovers | leaning | nude | pool | religious and mythological subject | shawl | water | wooing
- Associated People:
- Io, daughter of Inachus, the first king of Argos
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.