- The Sleeping Nymph
- Mezzotint (only state) on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 20 11/16 × 24 13/16 inches (52.5 × 63 cm) and Image: 18 7/8 × 23 15/16 inches (47.9 × 60.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "[...]"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by John Hoppner Esqr. R.A."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by Willm. Ward Engraver | to H.R.H. the Duke of York."; lettered, lower center: "Published Jany 20 1808. by the Engraver. No.24. Buckingham Place Fitzroy Square. | To Sire John Fleming Leicester Bart. | Sleeping Nymph | From the original Picture in his possession is by permission respectfully dedicated by his very obliged & obedient Servt Wm. Ward"; lettered, lower left: "As on her arm reclines the sleeping fair. | And with her breath the loitering gale perfumes. | Loves sees or thinks he sees his mother there."; lettered, lower right: "And nearer earth directs his glittering plumes. | Hovers with fond delight around her bower. | And swells the fragrance with a roseate shower."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arrow | basket | bow | cherub | flowers | flying | love | nude | nymph | putto | quiver | religious and mythological subject | sleeping | tree | wings | woods
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Ward, 1766–1826, British, The Sleeping Nymph, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.