- Additional Title(s):
Maria Hadfield Cosway
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 3/8 × 13 3/4 inches (44.1 × 34.9 cm), Image: 16 1/2 × 12 7/8 inches (41.9 × 32.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "106"; on back, lower right: "445"
Scratched lettering below image: "Painted by Maria Cosway | Engraved by V. Green, Mezzotinto Engraver to his Majesty, and to the Elector Palatine"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | chair | costume | cross (object) | curls | earrings | fichu | gown | hat | horizon line | muslin | portrait | ruffles | self-portrait | turban | woman
- Associated People:
- Cosway, Maria Louisa Catherine Cecilia, Baroness Cosway in the nobility of the Austrian empire (1760–1838), history painter and educationist
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Two Extraordinary Women : The Lives and Art of Maria Cosway (1760-1838) and Mary Darby Robinson (1757-1800) (The Fralin Museum of Art, University of Virginia, 2016-01-29 - 2016-05-01) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Stephen Lloyd, Richard & Maria Cosway: regency artists of taste and fashion, Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh, p. 69, NJ18 C7985 L56 1995 (LC)+ Oversize (YCBA) [YCBA]