One of Six Illustrations to Fenelon's "The Adventures of Telemachus son of Ulysses"
- ca. 1784
- Pen and gray ink and gray wash on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 4 9/16 x 2 13/16in. (11.6 x 7.1cm) and 4 5/8 × 2 7/8 inches (11.7 × 7.3 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "and Mentor leaping into the"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Wilmarth S. Lewis, B.A. 1918
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cliffs | Greek mythology | literary theme | mythology | nymphs | religious and mythological subject | Telemachus and Calypso | the nymphs of Calypso set Telemachus' ship on fire | water
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Stothard, 1755–1834, British, One of Six Illustrations to Fenelon's "The Adventures of Telemachus son of Ulysses", ca. 1784
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.