- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine-collé
- Sheet: 21 1/2 × 17 1/2 inches (54.6 × 44.5 cm), Plate: 14 1/2 × 12 1/2 inches (36.8 × 31.8 cm), Chine collé: 14 × 12 inches (35.6 × 30.5 cm), and Image: 12 × 10 inches (30.5 × 25.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "J.S. | & co."; lower center: "Wm Sharpe | exeedingly fine & brilliant proof before any letters"; lower right: "W.Sharpe | Portrait of himself | India proof"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "77"; lower right: "As"
Lettered below image, lower center: "London, Published May 12, 1817, by Iohn Smith, Princes Street, Cavendish Square."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bow tie | coat | frame (furnishing) | portrait | scroll (information artifact) | self-portrait
- Associated People:
- Sharp, William (1749–1824), engraver
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Sharp, 1749–1824, British, William Sharp, 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.