- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/2 x 13 3/4 inches (31.8 x 34.9 cm), Plate: 12 x 13 3/16 inches (30.5 x 33.5 cm), and Image: 9 5/16 x 11 5/16 inches (23.6 x 28.7 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, on back, upper left: "M[...]t | 4-103"; in graphite, upper right (along horizontal edge): "21 3/4 x 18"; lower left: "544 (circled) | 1st pub, state"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by W. Peters | From an Original Picture in the Collection"; lower center: "LYDIA. | This is the Mould of which I made the Sex; | I gave them but one Tongue to say us nay, | And two kind Eyes to grant. | Dryden | LONDON Publish'd Dec.r.1st.1776 by W. Dickinson, Henrietta Street Covent Garden"; lower right: "Engrav'd by W. Dickinson. | of the Right Hon,,ble Lord Grosvenor"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bed | blankets | draperies | embroidery | figure study | gaze | hands | illustration | nude | poetry | posing | ribbons | sheets | smiling | turban | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Dickinson, 1746–1823, British, Lydia, 1776
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.