The Return of Tobias
- Additional Title(s):
Tobit and Tobias
- Materials & Techniques:
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 20 × 27 inches (50.8 × 68.6 cm), Plate: 15 7/8 × 21 inches (40.3 × 53.3 cm), Image: 14 7/8 × 21 inches (37.8 × 53.3 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Vol 6 | 72374"
Scratched lettering below image, lower left: "Painted by B.West Esqr. P.R.A. Historical Pinter to His Majesty."; lower center: "London" Published Septr. 25th. 1805, by V.Green, No. 51, Upper Tichfield Street, for the Benefit of the Society of Engravers."; lower right: "Engraved by V.Green, S.A.E.R.A. and Mezzotinto Engraver to His Majesty."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angel | Bible | blind | chair | cloud | crouching | dog | father | headscarf | hill | man | moon | Old Testament | reaching | religious and mythological subject | sitting | son | staff | the book of Tobit | the journey to Ecbatana (Tobit 4-6) | Tobias and the angel Raphael continue their journey; usually Tobias carrying the fish | tree
- Associated People:
- Tobias, son of Tobit and Anna
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, The Return of Tobias, 1805
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.