The Flower Girl
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 16 7/8 x 12 1/2 inches (42.9 x 31.8 cm), Plate: 15 x 11 inches (38.1 x 27.9 cm), and Image: 13 3/4 x 11 inches (34.9 x 27.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite lower right: "56"; inscribed on back in graphite upper left: "14320"; in pen and brown ink upper left: "[ . . . ] 5-5263"; in graphite lower center: "259"; in graphite lower right: "M 4164 | [ . . . ]"
Lettered below image, lower left: "Painted by J Zoffaniy RA"; lower center: "THE FLOWER GIRL. | Engrav'd From The Original Picture In The Possession Of Jacob Wilkinson Esqr. | Publish'd Jany. 1st. 1785 by J Young. No. 28 Newport Street, Oxford Street London"; lower right: "Engrav'd by J. Young"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- basket | cape | dress | flowers (plants) | genre subject | girl | hat | portrait | street vendor | vendor
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
John Chaloner Smith, British mezzotinto portraits, being a descriptive catalogue of these engravings from the introduction of the art to the early part of the present century : arranged according to the engravers, the inscriptions given at full length, and the variations of state precisely set forth : acc , Martino Pub., Mansfield Centre, CT, 2004, v. 4, p. 1646, Young no. 79, NE1816.G7 S58 2004
Mary Webster, Johan Zoffany, 1733-1810, National Portrait Gallery, London, 1976, p. 70, no. 90, NJ18 Z68 W43 (YCBA)