- Elkanah, Hannah and Samuel
- Mezzotint (proof without letters) on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 20 3/4 × 25 5/8 inches (52.7 × 65.1 cm), Plate: 18 7/8 × 22 5/8 inches (47.9 × 57.5 cm), and Image: 17 1/4 × 21 1/2 inches (43.8 × 54.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left:: "o/a"; lower center: "19 3/8 / 23 1/8 | No.8 | 772394"; lower right: "Proof | 4a Un de | A "
Lettered below image, lower left: But Hannah went not up; for she said unto her husband, I will not go up until the child be weaned, and then I will bring him , that he may appear"; lower right: "before the LORD, and there abide for ever. And Elkanah her husband said unto her, Do what seemeth thee good;-1st Samuel, Chp 1 verse 22 &23."; lower center: "ELKANAH, HANNAH, AND SAMUEL. | LONDON: PUBLISHED MAY 1st. 1815, by BOYDELL & Co. 90 CHEAPSIDE."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- belt | Bible | birth and childhood of Samuel (1 Samuel 1-2:21) | cape | chair | cloak | cloud | cow | cradling | curtain | drapery | father | feather | field | gesturing | herd | hill | horse | horseback riding | husband | infant | jewel | mother | pillar | religious and mythological subject | Samuel growing up in the temple of Shiloh | sitting | sleeping | son | story of Samuel | temple | tree | turban | wife
- Associated People:
Elkanah, husband of Hannah, and the father of her children including her first, Samuel
Hannah, one of the wives of Elkanah mentioned in the First Book of Samuel. According to the Hebrew Bible she was the mother of Samuel
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Graham, active 1786–1813, Elkanah, Hannah and Samuel, 1815
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.