- Materials & Techniques:
- Mezzotint with drypoint on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 7/8 × 10 3/4 inches (40.3 × 27.3 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 × 9 7/8 inches (35.2 × 25.1 cm), Image: 11 5/8 × 9 7/8 inches (29.5 × 25.1 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "145"
Lettered inside image, lower left: "Indolence brings Misery"; lower right: "Industry Produceth Wealth"; bellow image: "Dighton pinxt. | FORTUNE. | Published 16th February 1796, by Haines & Son, No.19 Rolls Buildings, Fetter Lane, London."; below title: "Be such you would ye Gentlefolks. | Dame Fortunes gifts reveal | I can at will turn all the spokes | That guide her fickle wheel. | Nor dregs of ten, nor coffee grounds | That mystic apparatus: | Need I to shew life's ups and downs | To every Fortunatus. | The smiling road to human bliss: | Would you pursue the myster's this. | He that's content, hath Fortune found. | Cheerly with him her wheel goes round.| Gluttons, blame fortune for that Gout. | They from intemprance feel | While yonder Iron muscled lout | Enjoy's his scanty meal, | The indolent poor fortune curse | To fill up life's hiatus, | While the industrious find the Purse | And Cap of Fortunatus: | The smiling road to human bliss, | Thus court yoursteps the mystery this. | He that's content hath Fortune found, | Cheerly with him her wheel goes round. | Then, customs's Idiots, do not say | Fortune can blindly err. | If to her fane you miss the way | Tis you are blind not her | The even path before us lies | To where her gifts avail us, | And he contentment hath made wise, | Is the true Fortunatus. | The smiling road to human bliss. | Come then and tread! the mystery's this. | He that's content hath Fortune found, | Cheerly with him her wheel goes round."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- chains | cleaning | clouds | cornucopia (motif) | gluttony | goddess | greed | industry | lazy | men | religious and mythological subject | ribbons | satire | shoes | wheels | whip | words
- Associated People:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.