Betwixt a Subtile Priest & Cursed Wife
- Additional Title(s):
Marriage and Confession
- between 1681 and 1688
- Materials & Techniques:
- Mezzotint on medium, moderately textured, laid paper
- Sheet: 10 11/16 x 7 3/4 inches (27.2 x 19.7 cm), Plate: 10 7/16 x 7 3/8 inches (26.5 x 18.8 cm), Image: 9 7/16 x 7 3/8 inches (24 x 18.8 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "336"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "Betwixt a subtile Priest & cursed Wife | I'm plagu'd for my transgression [vertical line] The two great Follyes of my Life | Is Marriage & Confession."; lower left: "E Hemskyrke pinx:"; lower right: "I Beckett fec:"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apron (main garment) | chair | collars (neckwear) | confession | cross (object) | genre subject | gesture | hat | headscarf | interior | listening | marriage | men | monks | smiling | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Isaac Beckett, 1652/3–1719, British, Betwixt a Subtile Priest & Cursed Wife, between 1681 and 1688