Aeneas Entering Hades
- Additional Title(s):
Aeneas' Descent to the Underworld
- between 1675 and 1680
- Mezzotint on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed to plate): 9 15/16 × 7 5/16 inches (25.3 × 18.5 cm) and Image: 9 x 7 1/16 inches (22.8 x 18 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left, "GL (in monogram) | Gerard Laviesse"; on back, lower center: "Aeneas entering Hades | 420 | by A. Blooteling? (undescribed)"; on back, lower right: "Proof (underlined)"
Lettered within image, lower left: "G jn."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Aeneas, guided by the Sibyl, enters the underworld through the cave of Avernus | armor | branch | costume | Hades, the Underworld | helmet | men | mythology | nude | portrait | religious and mythological subject | stairs | talking | toga | walking
- Associated People:
- Cumaean Sibyl
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Abraham Blooteling, 1640–1690, Dutch, Aeneas Entering Hades, between 1675 and 1680
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.