- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/16 x 9 13/16 inches (30.7 x 24.9 cm), Plate: 10 1/16 x 7 11/16 inches (25.5 x 19.5 cm), and Image: 8 3/4 x 7 11/16 inches (22.3 x 19.5 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, on back, upper left: "N[...]t | S-4118"; in graphite, on back, lower center: "327"; on back, lower right: "280"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted & Engrav'd by P. Dawe"; lower center: "THEODOSIUS. | May you Constantia long be Happy in this World but forget that | there was ever such a man as ____ Theodosius | London. Publish'd as the Act directs 1. Feb: 1780. by R. Wilkinson No. 58. Cornhill."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- books | collar | curls | gesture | historical subject | lace | love | love letter | man | mourner | mourning | oval | portrait | reading | sadness | Theodosius and Constantia, poem by Addison, Joseph (1672–1719), writer and politician
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Philip Dawe, ca.1745–ca.1809, British, Theodosius, 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.