Courtship for Money
- Additional Title(s):
Faisant amour pour l'argent
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 1/4 x 10 7/16 inches (36.2 x 26.5 cm), Plate: 14 x 10 1/16 inches (35.5 x 25.5 cm), and Image: 13 x 10 1/16 inches (33 x 25.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "#105"; on back, lower right: "29. c."
collector's stamp of Sir William Augustus Fraser, in black ink, lower right
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Philip Dawe invenit et fecit."; lower center: "Courtship for Money. Faisant Amour pour L'Argent. | Printed for John Bowles, at No. 13 in Cornhill."; lower right: "Publish'd according to Act of Parliament, Feby. 12, 1771."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bag (container) | book | caricature | chairs | choker | coat | coins | costume | curtains | drapery | earrings | fashion | genre subject | gesture | gown | headpiece | humor | interior | jewelry | lace | love | man | money | panels | parody | pouch | satire | stripes | table | wig | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Philip Dawe, ca.1745–ca.1809, British, Courtship for Money, 1771
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.