Reading by a Paper-Bell Shade
- Mezzotint and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 16 7/8 x 11 1/8 inches (42.8 x 28.2 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 15/16 inches (35.3 x 25.2 cm), and Image: 12 15/16 x 9 15/16 inches (32.9 x 25.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "S. 23"; on back, lower center: "(17)"; on back, lower right: "354"
unidentified collector's stamp, in blue ink, on back, lower left: three small flowers in a triangular formation
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Hen. Morland pinxt,,"; lower center: "Published as the Act directs [date torn off surface of paper] | Reading by a Paper-bell Shade. | Printed for Carington Bowles, Map & Printseller, at No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, London."; lower right: "Phil. Dawe fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | bow (costume accessory) | bracelets (jewelry) | chair | chiaroscuro | choker | costume | dark | earrings | flounces | flowers (plants) | genre subject | gown | interior | jewelry | lace | lamp (lighting device) | leisure | light | reading | ribbon | shadow | table | woman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Painters and Engraving - The Reproductive Print from Hogarth to Wilkie (Yale Center for British Art, 1980-03-26 - 1980-06-22) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Pursuit of Happiness - A View of Life in Georgian England (Yale Center for British Art, 1977-04-19 - 1977-09-18) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]