The Housewife's Employment
- Additional Title(s):
Woman Churning Butter
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 13 1/16 x 9 3/16 inches (33.2 x 23.3 cm), Plate: 12 13/16 x 8 15/16 inches (32.5 x 22.7 cm), and Image: 11 5/16 x 8 7/8 inches (28.7 x 22.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "2/-"; on back, lower left: "W. E."; on back, lower center: "405. 6 T | 266"; on back, lower right: "2/"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Ph. Mercier Pinxt."; lower center: "Rural Life."; lower right: "J. Faber fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apron | bonnet | butter | cap | churn | curls | domestic | dress | genre subject | labor | peasant | rural | woman | working
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
John Ingamells, A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings, and Etchings of Philip Mercier, Volume of the Walpole Society, vol. 46, Walpole Society, 1976-8, p. 46, no. 180, N12 W35 +A1 OVERSIZE (YCBA)