Peter Abelard (1079-1142), French scholastic philosopher
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 12 11/16 x 9 13/16 inches (32.2 x 24.9 cm), Plate: 9 7/16 x 7 3/16 inches (24 x 18.2 cm), and Image (oval): 6 7/8 x 5 5/8 inches (17.5 x 14.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "368"
Lettered, lower center: "ABELARD. To philantus. P. 65 | I Saw Eloisa, I spoke to her; -- each Action, each confused Look, told her the Trouble of my Soul. | Done from the Original Drawing, by Edward Fisher, ~ | And Publish'd Oct,,r 23,,d 1779 by him at his Print - Shop, No,,11 Ludgate Stree."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | curls | French | gesturing | letters | lover | man | Medieval | oval | philosopher | portrait | posing | reading | scholar
- Associated People:
- Abelard, Peter (1079-1142), medieval French scholastic philosopher
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Edward Fisher, 1722–1785, British, Peter Abelard (1079-1142), French scholastic philosopher, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.