Peter Abelard (1079-1142), French scholastic philosopher
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 12 11/16 x 9 13/16 inches (32.2 x 24.9 cm), Plate: 9 7/16 x 7 3/16 inches (24 x 18.2 cm), and Image: 6 7/8 x 5 5/8 inches (17.5 x 14.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "368"
Lettered, lower center: "ABELARD. To philantus. P. 65 | I Saw Eloisa, I spoke to her; -- each Action, each confused Look, told her the Trouble of my Soul. | Done from the Original Drawing, by Edward Fisher, ~ | And Publish'd Oct,,r 23,,d 1779 by him at his Print - Shop, No,,11 Ludgate Stree."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | curls | French | gesturing | letters | lover | man | Medieval | oval | philosopher | portrait | posing | reading | scholar
- Associated People:
- Abelard, Peter (1079-1142), medieval French scholastic philosopher
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Edward Fisher, 1722–1785, British, Peter Abelard (1079-1142), French scholastic philosopher, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.