The Curious Maids
- Additional Title(s):
Les Filles Curieuses
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- 17 3/8 x 11 3/4 inches (44.2 x 29.8 cm), 13 7/8 x 9 15/16 inches (35.3 x 25.2 cm), and 12 1/2 x 9 15/16 inches (31.7 x 25.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "cat"; lower right: "o/-"; on back, lower center: "#84"; on back, lower right: "cat under(?)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "In prime of Youth, what Funny Tricks | Are often play'd by either Sex! | The Tales they've heard their Nurses say | They put in Practice Day by Day."; lower center: "The | Curious Maids. | Les Filles Curieuses. | London, Printed for Robt. Sayer, No. 53 in Fleet Street. Publish'd as the Act directs 17 Feby. 1768."; lower right: "J. Greenwood invt. et fecit | Forbear dear Girls! for Pty's sake | Have Mercy on a Sleeping Rake! | As in the Bowl his Hand you've got, | You'll make him soon do __ You know what. | Price 2s."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bowl | bows (costume accessories) | candle | chairs | coat | costume | cravat | curtains | drapery | flounces | genre subject | gowns | humor | interior | jewelry | laughing | maids | men | necklaces | night | pearls | sleeping | sword | tricking | tricorne | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Greenwood, 1727–1792, American, active in Britain (from 1763), The Curious Maids, 1768
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.