- The Philosopher in Contemplation
- Mezzotint on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/8 × 14 1/2 inches (26.4 × 36.8 cm), Plate: 9 7/8 × 14 inches (25.1 × 35.6 cm), and Image: 9 9/16 × 13 15/16 inches (24.3 × 35.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "aguatint"
Lettered, lower left: "Rembrandt pinxt."; lettered, lower right: "R. Houston fect."; lettered, lower center: "THE PHILOSOPHER IN CONTEMPLATION. | printed for E Bakewell & H. Parker in Cornhill, Jn.Bowles & Son, at the Black Horse in Cornhill, & R Sayer, in Fleet Street."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Richard Houston, ca. 1721–1775, British, The Philosopher in Contemplation, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.